Lecture 2 | TV News - Newsgathering

An Insight Into BBC's News At Six


The BBC Live News Technical Studio
As part of today's lecture we viewed a 60 minute Facebook Live piece put together by the BBC in order to show each individual aspect that goes into creating, orchestrating and broadcasting a live news show, while also having to be able to adapt quickly to potential issues that may arise as well as breaking news stories that could develop at any given time.

The video can be viewed below and I think offers an interesting and unique insight into the world of TV broadcasting, as well as the sheer amount of work and planning required to put together a live show of this magnitude, broadcast to an average audience of 5.2 million people every evening.

LINK: BBC News At Six | Facebook Live Event

It'll certainly be interesting going into the studio production unit after Christmas, knowing what I know now. I also have failed to mention as of yet that I have actually had some knowledge in this area already due to some family connections. My Grandad worked for ITN for over 40 years so it has always been a part of my upbringing in a sense, furthermore last year I was fortunate enough to be able to get the opportunity to head out to Atlanta for 5 weeks and spend time living with my uncle in Jonesboro, GA. During my time there we went up to the city and visited the CNN headquarters, got to do a tour around their studios and learned various aspects as to what goes into both the live shows and the pre-recording material that is broadcast 24/7 around the world.

Given this I'm certainly interested in diving into whatever this year may bring in terms of studio-centric work, who knows... I could find something I have a passion for!

A picture I took last year outside the CNN HQ in Atlanta, GA.

Comments

Popular Posts